Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's Day....

PeaceOnEarth

I think the thing that I most admire about Veteran's Day, is that it was originally called Armistice Day. From the Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs I found the following information on the history of Veteran's Day: ".... approved May 13, 1938, made the 11th of November in each year a legal holiday—a day to be dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be thereafter celebrated and known as "Armistice Day."" In 1954, the word "Armistice" was replaced with the word "Veterans". 


So, this is a day to commemorate, work toward, talk and think about and put into practice the idea of world peace. I am extremely grateful to all veteran's who have made enormous sacrifices for us. Today, I pay honor to all who have served in this capacity. But I also wanted to remember the original purpose of this day; it is important for me to remember.


And, please take a look @ the Arms for Peace website. Arms for Peace was conceived by my best teacher--my mother--as a memorial for families of soldiers killed in wars who lived in Central Pennsylvania. This memorial will list the soldier's name as well as the family members who have been left behind to rebuild their lives. The memorial is designed in the shape of arms in a warm embrace. 


My PeaceOnEarth image is available @ my Storefront as a small print or greeting card.


Expect good things....

No comments: