Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Wellness of My Being

Diesel Looking for Jim, 2010

This has been a long, difficult winter. And, it is only the 2nd day of February. Today it was pouring down rain and there was a lot of flooding in the road. As well, the fog was heavy and thick and it made for treacherous driving. Chicago had 2 feet of snow today; I suppose I would rather have the rain.


I started the Wellness Challenge today. Really fantastic that a group of people organized themselves to provide the following to their community: "Founded in 2005 by East Hampton resident Douglas D. Mercer, Wellness Foundation empowers people of the Town of East Hampton — from Sag Harbor to Montauk — on their journey to increased health and happiness."  Their services are free of charge; real community service.

I got my blood work done in time to participate in the Challenge and found out, to my surprise, that my cholesterol is high. A plant-based diet....that is the gist of this program. Lots of vegetables (50% raw/50% cooked), whole grains, fruit and legumes. I actually like to eat a lot of these things anyway. I think the hardest thing for me will be the half & half in my decaf! But hey, I have tried the Silk creamer and it is not that bad. Tonight for dinner I made whole wheat couscous (not really sure that this would be considered whole grain now that I think about it). I broiled tofu in a combination of rice vinegar, low-sodium tamari, ginger and garlic. I steamed broccoli and kale and then sauteed them with orange juice, garlic and red pepper flakes. Not a drop of oil in the entire meal! The meal was a hit and there are left overs for Ned's lunch.


I am avoiding my homework. I just started a class on-line. Part of the class includes having "discussions" on line. I think I might be too old for this. In my experience, a discussion is when two people are in the same room talking, or at least you can hear each other's voices (telephone). But to call snippets back and forth on the internet a "discussion" is really pushing things in my opinion! As I said, I  might be too old for this. 


Expect good things.....

No comments: