Thursday, July 22, 2010

We have to let them fly....


We are standing together in the terminal @ JFK. We are finally here...you announced the invitation for this trip last January. It sounded like a wonderful idea and experience for you. With your full time job you paid for your own ticket....and now here we are. You, a good few inches taller than me....excited, and eager for the adventure that awaits you. Me, feeling small and short next to you....smiling with tears in my eyes....I know I have to let you go and, more importantly, it is time for you to go. I can see the wanderlust that you have is the same as mine. They call for passengers to board. You give me a big hug and tell me you love me. I tell you the same and also say what I always do: "Use your best judgement". And off you go, on the line, handing your ticket to the attendant, you turn and wave and walk up the ramp with a smile. Now, I am alone in JFK; enormous tears filling my eyes. I look next to me and there is a woman shorter than me with a teenage daughter. We look @ each other and smile and look away. A few seconds later I look @ her again. I said: "I know we have to do this, but it sure isn't easy when it is the first time." She comes over and hugs me! She said: "He will be alright. He probably won't think of you all week!" I reply with: "I hope he doesn't! I know he will be o.k., it just isn't an easy thing to do." And then I say: "Are you sending your girl off too?" "No," she replies, "we are heading home. We just got the call that my husband is leaving for Iraq, so we are going home to send him off....". "Safe travels" I reply, "and thank you." And so, I leave Gate 15 in Terminal 3 and walk back to the train. From the window of the train platform, I can see your plane. I stand there and watch the pilot check the flaps on the tail. I see the ladder move away from the back end. Slowly, your plane backs up and moves down the tarmac. I lose sight of you, but then I see a plane that is probably yours as it takes off into the sky, taking you on to the next step of your adventure. Have fun Ned, I already miss you.

No comments: