Saturday, July 17, 2010


When I was pregnant, my midwife detected an irregular heart rate in my baby. This happened about 5 weeks or so before Ned was born. My midwife suggested that I go to Winthrop University Hospital. It was small and personal and they had a neo-natal unit. In one visit for a regular prenatal check-up, I went from having a midwife and planning a birth in a birthing center, to needing a hospital with a neo-natal unit with doctors I did not know. As it turned out, we were guided to amazing doctors to help us through this scary time. The pediatric cardiologist we were referred to was Dr. Milton Reitman. Over the next month before Ned was born, I never met Dr. Reitman; I only met the other doctors in his practice during my visits to their office. Ned was born on a Sunday morning and over the course of the next few days, I saw Dr. Reitman's partners in the neo-natal unit. During the week, the nurses and doctors taught me how to listen to Ned's heart and give him his medication. He was bigger than most of the babies in the unit and was actually healthy except for this irregular heart rate that only happened sporadically. On Friday, I wasn't sure why we were still in the hospital, so I called Dr. Reitman and asked him why we were still there. He asked me to meet him in the neo-natal unit that afternoon. Having never met in person before, I introduced myself and Dr. Reitman's reply was:
"So you are Mrs. Big Mouth?!"......I was taken aback and said: "Excuse me?" He then proceeded to tell me that he wishes more parents would call him and ask more questions like I had when I didn't know why Ned was still in the hospital. Dr. Reitman taught me all about Ned's condition. He taught me how to handle the situation when Ned had an episode of rapid heart rate. He taught me not to be an alarmist....that if I behaved like an alarmist, my reaction could scare Ned. He gave me the confidence to trust my instinct with Ned and his condition and what actions to take. All of this was done with the utmost kindness, respect and genuine care for Ned and our family. When Ned's condition got to a point that he needed to have a catheter ablation performed, Dr. Reitman guided us to an electro-cardiologist who took phenomenal care of Ned. For the past 4 years, Ned has been on the 2 year plan---a check-up every 2 years. We went today to see Dr. Reitman; Ned had a great check-up and is in good health! Dr. Reitman is about to retire, however. We may not have another check-up with him.I have tears in my eyes as I think of how grateful I am that we were guided to Dr. Reitman and his staff and colleagues. Having a child who has a health issue is very challenging; the fear of the unknown can be overwhelming. However, to have a doctor who is not only skilled, but also loving and kind and thinks that it is wonderful that you are asking questions......who could ask for anything more? I took this picture of Ned with Dr. Reitman today.....Ned was 5 lbs. when was born; he fit in Dr. Reitman's hands.....look at the two of them now.

No comments: